About The Light House Mission

The Light House Mission was established in 1890 to serve the needs of transient and needy local people in Terre Haute, Indiana, and has served in this capacity to the present time. In 1935, it was recognized as a not-for-profit organization by the state of Indiana. It has expanded its range and geographic scope of services to include 19 counties in West Central Indiana and East Central Illinois. As these counties form some of the poorest localities in the two states, the Mission has seen a significant increase in the number of indigent and homeless in the last few years. The Mission accepts all who need assistance and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, religion, national or ethical origin, age, physical disability, or medical condition.


Mission Statement:

With the support of our community, we offer:
Refuge - Food, shelter, and clothing for those in need.
Recovery - Biblically based programs to minister to the whole person; body, mind, and spirit.
Restoration - Equipping people to lead productive and independent lives.

The purpose and mission of the Light House Mission is to aid, assist, and care for homeless individuals by providing shelter, food, clothing, education, and emergency services without regard for race, color, sex, national origin, religion, age, disability, or medical condition.


History:

18,000 men, women and children were touched by services provided by the Light House Mission in 2009. What the Mission is today could hardly have been envisioned by the small group of young Christian people who saw a need in Terre Haute for caring for the poor, needy and homeless ... one hundred and fourteen years ago. So contagious was their zeal for this purpose that The First Congregational Church established a rescue mission that same year. Today, having evolved with the times, it stands as a non-denominational rescue mission, a permanent fixture of the Wabash Valley, a beacon of hope to literally tens of thousands over the past century.

In 1939, the Light House Mission was incorporated under "the Indiana General Not For Profit Corporation Act" of March 17, 1935. In 1956 the Mission applied for and was granted Not For Profit status under 501 (C) (3) of the United States Internal Revenue Code.

Housed in various locations throughout Terre Haute, the Light House Mission was afforded the opportunity to take possession of a 100,000 square foot building at 1450 Wabash Avenue in 1990. This 5-story building has allowed the Mission to expand its services to a level that reaches thousands of needs throughout the Wabash Valley each year. In 1998, the former Otter Creek High School was acquired and renovated into a women's shelter for single women and women with children.

Support for the Mission remains substantially the same, as individuals, businesses, and churches support the Light House Mission with their prayer, time and finances. These people believe in a responsibility for those less fortunate than themselves. From a 1988 budget of about $70,000 to 2005's budget of over $1 million, the Lord has provided the funds and labor to grow.

The Light House Mission stands with the strength of God, committed to serving the last...the least...and the lost.